People prepare coffee beverages in a wide variety of ways. If you intend to prepare your cup of coffee at home, you may want to do it the simple way.
Refreshing in flavour and easy to make, granita is popular throughout Italy. These ices are a mixture of water, sugar and flavouring. They are grainy in texture and are frozen in a pan in the freezer. The goal when making granita is to create coarse granular crystals or flakes of ice. They develop the characteristically large ice crystals as the mixture is stirred several times during freezing.
In terms of desserts, it doesn’t get much easier than this.
For 4 to 6 servings, you need 3 cups hot brewed espresso and 1/2 to 3/4 cup sugar. To make the whipped cream you also need 1-1/2 cups heavy cream, 3 tablespoons sugar, and 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon.
5 Simple Steps
- Put hot coffee in a bowl;
- Add sugar and stir to dissolve;
- Cool to room temperature;
- Transfer to a shallow pan and place in the freezer;
- Every 30 minutes, using a fork, stir the granita, scraping it off the bottom and sides of the pan. Break up the frozen parts near the edges into smaller chunks and rake them toward the centre. Continue to freeze and break up ice crystals until completely frozen, about 3 hours.
When ready to serve, whip heavy cream, sugar, and cinnamon until thickened. Place a bit of cream in the bottom of 4 to 6 dessert glasses. Divide granita among the glasses and top with more cream or serve with a cookie.